At least 3 killed in first fatal Houthi attack on commercial ship
U.S. officials say Yemen's Houthi rebels have carried out their first fatal attack on a commercial vessel in the Gulf of Aden.
Watch CBS News
U.S. officials say Yemen's Houthi rebels have carried out their first fatal attack on a commercial vessel in the Gulf of Aden.
The Rubymar is the first vessel to be fully destroyed as part of their campaign over Israel's war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
For months, the U.S. Navy has operated out of the Red Sea at a pace not seen in decades, as the military responds to Houthi targeting of commercial ships. Norah ’O'Donnell reports.
This week on "Face the Nation," Margaret Brennan speaks to National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan after the U.S. launched strikes against Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen, the latest retaliation after a drone strike last week killed three Americans. Plus, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema discusses the latest in the Senate immigration negotiations.
This is the fourth round of joint coalition strikes to pressure the Houthis to stop attacking commercial shipping lanes in the Red Sea.
The Biden administration's top Middle East adviser is in Egypt for talks about a hostage release and temporary cease-fire deal between Israel and Hamas. But negotiations appear to be plodding along with just a few weeks remaining before the Ramadan deadline Israel has set. If no deal is made by then, Israel says it will move forward with a major ground operation in the south of Gaza. CBS News senior foreign correspondent Holly Williams has more.
The U.S. says it captured Iranian weapons on the way to Houthi rebels in the January raid that killed two Navy SEALs. CBS News national security correspondent David Martin has the details.
U.S.-led counterstrikes against Yemen's Houthi rebels have failed to slow the Iran-backed rebels' attacks on global shipping.
Yemen's Iranian-backed Houthi rebels say they shot down a U.S. drone and severely damaged a British-owned cargo ship in a missile attack early Monday morning. This comes after a series of self-defense strikes by the U.S. military over the weekend on Houthi targets. CBS News national security correspondent David Martin has more.
With backing from Iran, the Houthi militia in Yemen have kept up a barrage of attacks on ships in the Red Sea for months. The U.S. military is pushing back.
Saturday's incident marked the first observed Houthi use of an unmanned underwater vessel since attacks in the Red Sea region started in October, CENTCOM said.
The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps is inside Yemen, and serving side-by-side with the Houthis amid ongoing attacks on commercial ships, the deputy commander of U.S. Central Command said.
The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps is inside Yemen, and serving side-by-side with the Houthis amid ongoing attacks on commercial ships, the deputy commander of U.S. Central Command said.
Retired Army Gen. Raymond "Tony" Thomas joined CBS News' Catherine Herridge to discuss how the U.S. has responded to attacks by Iran-backed militias in the Middle East, including the drone strike that killed three American service members in Jordan.
The ship's captain "reports his vessel was attacked by two missiles and reports minor damage," the United Kingdom Trade Operations center, which oversees Mideast waters, said.
President Biden said Israel's offensive in Gaza was "over the top" in his Thursday night press conference and said he was working tirelessly on a cease-fire deal. Samantha Vinograd, former Homeland Security assistant secretary for counterterrorism, joined CBS News to discuss how Mr. Biden is handling the situation in the Middle East.
CBS News senior investigative correspondent Catherine Harridge spoke with retired Gen. Raymond Thomas, who spent much of his military career serving in the Middle East, about the drone attack that killed 3 U.S. service members in Jordan and the U.S. response.
The Iranian-backed Houthi militia group has continued attacking cargo ships in the Red Sea despite the retaliatory strikes by the U.S. and the United Kingdom. CBS News national security correspondent David Martin has more.
The U.S. and U.K. targeted Houthi militant sites in Yemen over the weekend in the latest response to the escalation in attacks in the region by groups backed by Iran CBS News' Holly Williams reports.
The U.S. launched retaliatory strikes on groups supported by Iran in Iraq and Syria Friday in response to the drone attack that killed three American soldiers in Jordan. The U.S. and the United Kingdom also struck more Houthi targets in Yemen over the weekend. CBS News senior foreign correspondent Holly Williams has more.
An Iran-backed militia says it hit a base in Syria, killing U.S.-allied Kurdish fighters amid a high-stakes exchange of fire being fueled by the Israel-Hamas war.
The U.S. Department of Defense said the strikes on Yemen early Sunday targeted Houthi missile systems and launchers, as well as weapons storage and radars used by the Iran-backed group, the latest response to the drone attack last week that killed three Americans, Holly Williams reports. The U.S. appears to be trying to carefully calibrate its response, Williams reports, on the one hand it doesn't want a further escalation of violence in the Middle East, but on the other it doesn't want to risk emboldening its enemies.
The U.S. launched retaliatory strikes in the Middle East on Friday in response to a deadly drone attack on a military base in Jordan. Retired Gen. Joseph Votel, former commander of U.S. Central Command, joins CBS News to assess the situation.
President Biden and first lady Jill Biden will join grieving families at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Friday for the dignified transfer of the three U.S. service members who were killed in Jordan. Sgt. William Jerome Rivers, Spc. Kennedy Sanders, and Spc. Breonna Moffett, all from Georgia, died over the weekend during a drone attack by Iran-backed militants. CBS News senior White House and political correspondent Ed O'Keefe has more on the transfer and U.S. plans for retaliation.
The U.S. military plans to strike targets in Iraq and Syria, including Iranian personnel and facilities, in response to a drone attack that killed 3 U.S. troops.
The Trump administration on Friday directed officials to pause all asylum decisions in the wake of the shooting of two National Guard soldiers in Washington, D.C.
Dr. Vinay Prasad, the director of the FDA's vaccine division, did not provide data to back the claim in a memo sent to staff.
Pope Leo toured the 17th-century mosque, but did not pray.
"Any document signed" by Biden with an autopen "is hereby terminated," President Trump said.
A National Guard member died in the wake of the shooting near the White House, President Trump said.
Army Spc. Sarah Beckstrom worked for behavioral health agency, Seneca Health Services, as a community engagement specialist before her deployment.
Hong Kong's deadliest fire in decades is raising questions about corruption and negligence in the renovations of the apartment complex where at least 128 people died.
Ukrainian anti-corruption officials raid the home of a top aide to President Zelenskyy in connection with a major probe into an energy sector corruption scandal.
Northwestern University will pay $75 million to the federal government over the next three years to end an antisemitism investigation by the Trump administration and restore hundreds of millions of dollars in frozen funds.